Saturday, October 10, 2009

Le Dejeuner Sur l'Herbe

This question is not very politically correct, maybe, so I ask those very sensitive persons: do not look at the picture below and do not read the text.

This question does not make me sleep for a week.

Here you see a picture of the famous "father of Impressionism", Édouard Manet
The Luncheon on the Grass (Le déjeuner sur l'herbe), 1863, that I copied from Wikipedia.
I adore Impressionists, specially Pierre-Auguste Renoir . Their pictures are so as I see the world. :-)

But when I look at this picture, I think every time: WHY (why, I repeat) the men on this picture are completely dressed (even with jackets and hat) and the women are without clothes!!!

8 comments:

  1. I like the picture but I never think much about why the woman is naked and not the men. Many oil paintings of the past have naked women in it and some people here just think that the people in Europe are very open. I just enjoy their beauty though; have seen some of the real one in Lourve, Paris and Vam Gogh's Sunflowers in London, too. If you have visited my Travel Pangs, you could see some Indonesian versions of Sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the artist of today would paint naked men and not women. :0))) All are gay today.

    You are right. Maybe we have not look for the sense but enjoy the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the men back then were the same as the majority of men today. Mostly see women as objects to exploit in advertising etc. Artists can get away with it in the name of art :)

    I recently saw an advertising campaign using a fully clothed man and a naked women, who was in a very submissive position - a bit like a pet or child. It was not considered acceptable, yet had it been a painting it would be classed as art, and acceptable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Babs, here in our zone, this advertising in the streets is something completely mad. Every leave has nudity. But the life of the woman is like it was in Middle Ages. I began to understand the fights of the femminists. And I think we need femminism something like in late 1800 else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Загадочная картина

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was painted in the mid 17th century, not the 1800's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is possible in this life. He could paint it in the 1700 and wait till 1863 to publish it.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog