Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What Do You Know About Cold Weapons

This morning I was in museum. There were different men -members of the archaeological group and we spoke about cold weapons a little too. We began with katana that is very popular because of PC games as I understood. One girl said she wanted a real katana. We laughed. Everybody knows that real katanas are very rare and expensive things. I said I can gift her a "kinzhal", a sort of national weapon -knife from Caucasus. I have one souvenir at home.

So, I remembered a little story that happend to me when I wanted to pass through the custom of the airport of Sheremetjevo a year ago. That kinzhal was in my trunk. The offcers were suspected to see it on the monitor and called the head-officer. He asked me what it is and I answered the first word I remembered in that moment -"kortik". The officers around me seemd to have heart attacs. Than I remembered the right word and said: It's not kortik, it's kinzhal, souvenir.

Sincerely, for me both are knives. I don't see difference between the kitchen knife, kinzhal and kortik. Knife and knife. But seems there is significant difference for those who understands.

Seems,
kinzhal is a generic word, not only a name for the knife of Caucasus
kortik is a prize knife for militars, marine, a special honoured decoration.
I rememberd one more word about knives as cold weapons,
Jatagan, a long curved turkish knife.

So, I wanted to know if there are other words for these weapons. Here is my research:

keris -a knife of Malaysia. The blade is wavy and they are not used anymore except for ceremonial purposes. (Thanks Footiam, Beautiful World, for information)
stilletto -an italian knife
daga -(maybe italian) knife to stab
khopesh -a knife used in Antient Egipt

Can you help me to make the complet list?

And here is the picture I found in Wikipedia. All these are kinzhals

5 comments:

  1. Oh, didn't know there are such things as cold weapons. Thanks and about keris, that's a weapon in this part of the world, not just Java but Malaysia too. The blade is wavy and they are not used anymore except for ceremonial purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Footiam, It's really very interesting research, mmm?

    Hope to have more names from other persons too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-))) Thanks for your comment. Unfortunatelly I rarely write about weapons. More on historical themes generally. Intersting news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't stop posting such articles. I love to read articles like that. Just add some pics :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog