Monday, January 14, 2008

Old New Year

«source» на Яндекс.Фотках

It's a very popular feast in Russia: Old New Year.
This tradition remains from the time when zar Peter I changed the old calendar to that, used in all Europe in the period. I think so.

In fact, the orthodox Christmas is on 7 January and New Year on 14 January. The Church did not change it's calendar (because had problems with that zar) and so Russians become this happiness to possess twin-feasts (who recognize them).

Now there are other feast period (6-19 January), Christmas-tide, I think. Sincerely, I don't know what it is, I remember only, when we were students ( and recognized ALL holidays), this period (holidays) we finished in middle of February or March. So, I believe, that after 19 there is something more.

In the last years many person add to the list of pagan-orthodox-catholic feasts fascinating buddhist New Year (maybe following the Chinese calendar but I'm not sure). So the life has to be all infinite holidays.

I have normally my "Christmas-tree" till the Old New Year" so tomorrow I'll say good-bye to it.

And you, what do you think about this great period?

4 comments:

  1. It's good to appreciate the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought, you will say "it's good to have only feasts in the life" :)))
    No, I'm not right. It's not soooo good maybe because without bad we don't understand good. So?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I am Russian too. I am in Canada, Ottawa, where are you?

    Nice to meet you,
    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to meet even Russians here! I'm in Italy... not tooooo near but we are all neighbours here.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog